Can you believe it’s almost June already? That means we’ve reached the half-way mark of 2017. I’m still stuck in 2016 so this comes as a bit of a shock to me.
Anyhow, I wanted to reassess some of the goals I’ve made at the beginning of this year. I feel like I’ve achieved a lot of the things I set out to (finding my dream job as a nurse at a pro-life clinic, fitting into my pre-pregnancy clothes again, not screaming at my kids every day, etc.) but there is still so much more I want to work on as the rest of the year goes on. Here’s my list so far:
- Never stop creating. I’ve been wanting to get in the habit of writing more, doodling, or creating something everyday. My sister-in-law got me a brush lettering set which is calling out to me. My journal hardly ever gets opened. I believe God created each of us to be creative and to be artists in some shape or form. I never want to forget that.
- Grow in confidence. When I lost all of my hair last year, it really took a toll on my self-esteem and confidence. I want to feel happy again in my own skin and stop worrying about what others think of me. Sometimes it is when you are your most vulnerable self that you are the most beautiful.
- Stop comparing. I’m always thinking about how I can be more like someone else – a better singer, a better writer, a better mom, a better cook, I wish I had straighter teeth, I wish I was more fashionable, blah blah blah. It’s hard not to compare yourself with the filtered images and posts you see on social media these days. I have to remember that social media is only a perfected peep into someone’s otherwise imperfect life. To compare is to despair.
- Feel at ease. I battle anxious thoughts every day and I accept that it is something I will probably deal with for the rest of my life. But I need to learn how to replace them with positive thoughts so I can live my life with more peace and joy. I want to stop worrying about silly things and remove the “what if” and “I can’t” phrases out of my vocabulary. Everyting is gonna be irie, mon.
- Make more memories. I need to make date nights a priority. I want to grow deeper in my friendships. I want to put my phone away, read more books with the kids, make more cookies in my daughter’s play kitchen, get on the floor and roll around with the baby. Even if our kids won’t remember these moments as they get older, it all counts. It’s all worth it. Let’s just be fully present to all the people in our lives.
Above all, I want to grow in my scripture reading and prayer life. I believe when I do that, that all of my other goals will come in place. So here’s to the rest of 2017! (Totally legitimate reason to bring out the wine.) If you’re reading, let me know what some of your goals are in the comments below! Cheers!